Journal of Thomas Crewe Dod

  • Reference
      GB 133 Eng MS 1120
  • Dates of Creation
      3 August 1784-28 April 1785
  • Name of Creator
  • Language of Material
  • Physical Description
      183 x 122 mm. 1 volume (20 folios); Binding: full bound by Bramhall and Menzies in red buckram.

Scope and Content

Journal of Thomas Crewe Dod (1754-1827) of Edge Hall, Cheshire. Accompanying the journal is an account of Edge and Edge Hall, the seat of the Dods, with a pedigree of the family.

Administrative / Biographical History

Thomas Crewe Dod (1754-1827), of Edge Hall, Cheshire, was born on 9 July 1754, the eldest son of Thomas Dod of Edge. He married Anne, daughter of Ralph Sneyd of Keele, Staffordshire, on 20 February 1786. They had eight children: Thomas, John Anthony, Charlotte, Louisa, Anne, Harriott, Frances Rosamond and Soby Rebecca. Both sons died unmarried, in 1810 and 1821 respectively. Edge Hall therefore descended to the Reverend Charles Wolley, husband of Thomas Crewe Dod's grand-daughter Frances Lucy Parker (she was the youngest daughter of Frances Rosamond, who had married the Reverend Pelly Parker in 1823). Charles Wolley took the name Wolley-Dod by royal licence in 1868 and was still living in 1882.

Edge Hall lay in Broxton hundred of Cheshire. The Dod family held Edge, apparently without interruption, from Cadwgan Dot in the reign of Henry II, and possibly from Saxon times. Thomas Helsby wrote of Edge Hall in 1882: The present mansion is of considerable antiquity, but has been so repeatedly altered in various styles, that no date can be inferred from its architecture. Elsewhere in Edge were the remains of an earlier moated mansion. Source: Ormerod's History of Cheshire (see below).

Access Information

The manuscript is available for consultation by any accredited reader.

Acquisition Information

Donated to the John Rylands Library by Messrs Gardner and Sons, solicitors, of Rugeley, Staffordshire, through the good offices of Miss L. Margaret Midgley, Librarian of the William Salt Library, Stafford, in January 1948.


Description compiled by Jo Humpleby, project archivist.

Other Finding Aids

Catalogued in the Hand-List of the Collection of English Manuscripts in the John Rylands Library, 1937-1951 (English MS 1120).


See George Ormerod, The history of the county palatine and city of Chester, 2nd edition revised and enlarged by Thomas Helsby, 3 vols (London: G. Routledge, 1882), vol. 2, pp. 678-84.