The archive comprises two minute books of the Group's meetings (1929-1940), together with unused membership cards, printing blocks with engravings of Charles White used to print the Club's logo, and photographs of a portrait of Charles White. The strong-box used to store the Club's records has been retained as part of the archive
Archive of the Charles White Club
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 CWC
- Dates of Creation1929-1953
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description7 items
- LocationCollection available at the University Archive and Records Centre, main John Rylands University Library.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Charles White Club was established in 1929 as a social and dining club for senior obstetrical and gynaecological staff of St Mary's Hospitals, Manchester. The idea for the Club came from Daniel Dougal (1884-1948), professor of obstetrics and gynaecology at the University of Manchester. The Club met monthly at the homes of members, where medical and other matters were discussed in an informal and convivial manner. The original members of the Club were William Fletcher Shaw (1878-1961), Archibald Donald (1860-1937), Frank Hamilton Lacey (1879-1958), Daniel Dougal, John Bride (1884-1963), Charles Philip Brentnall (d.1947), and William Addis (b.1884). The last meeting of the Club was on 27 February 1940; thereafter the conditions of war made the meetings impossible.
The Club was named after Charles White (1728-1813), one of the most important figures in the history of Manchester medicine. White helped establish the Manchester Public Infirmary (later the Manchester Royal Infirmary) in 1752, where he worked until 1790. In the same year he set up with his son Thomas, the Manchester and Salford Lying-in Hospital, which later became St Mary's Hospital. White was described as "the most eminent surgeon in the north of England" by his friend, the writer, Thomas de Quincey. He was a fellow of the Royal Society, and a leading light in the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society, which he helped set up in 1781.
The collection is open to any accredited reader.
Other Finding Aids
Conditions Governing Use
Photocopies and photographic copies can be supplied for private study purposes only, depending on the condition of the documents.
A number of items within the archive remain within copyright under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988; it is the responsibility of users to obtain the copyright holder's permission for reproduction of copyright material for purposes other than research or private study.
Prior written permission must be obtained from the Library for publication or reproduction of any material within the archive. Please contact the Head of Special Collections, The John Rylands University Library, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PP.
The archive of the Club was retained by the Club's members following its last meeting in 1940, probably by J.W. Bride. It appears that the archive was transferred to the custody of the Manchester Medical Society in or around 1953, and at a later date was passed to the John Rylands University Library. The archive was stored in a sealed strong-box, which was opened by JRUL staff in 2001.