The armorial contains emblazoned coats of arms of English, Scottish and Irish peers and bishops. Two indexes, one an alphabetical index of surnames and the other an index of titles, were added at a later date at the beginning of the volume. At the top of the first folio of the manuscript after the two indexes is written the date 1726, perhaps indicating that this was the year of creation. A label on the front cover is annotated '157 Pages of Coats of Arms Blazoned with an Index'.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng MS 14
- Dates of Creation18th Century [Possibly 1726]
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical DescriptionExtent of unit of description: 320 x 205 mm. 1 volume (79 folios); Binding: full-bound in vellum over boards.
- LocationCollection available at John Rylands Library, Deansgate.
Scope and Content
The manuscript is available for consultation by any accredited reader.
Purchased by Mrs Enriqueta Rylands, on behalf of the John Rylands Library, in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford.
Description compiled by Henry Sullivan, project archivist, with reference to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography article on John Thane.
Other Finding Aids
Catalogued in the Hand-List of the Collection of English Manuscripts in the John Rylands Library, 1928 (English MS 14).
Formerly part of the Bibliotheca Lindesiana, the Library of the Earls of Crawford and Balcarres, from Haigh Hall, Wigan, Lancashire. The signature of John Thane is written on the verso of the last folio of the manuscript. John Thane (1748-1818) was a London printseller and engraver who also had antiquarian interests.