Frederick Craven Moore (1871-1943) was born in Manchester in 1871 and entered Owens College, Manchester in 1888 where he graduated with a BSc with first-class honours in Biology in 1891. This was followed by an MSc in 1894, his MB in 1895, MD with gold medal in 1898 and Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians in 1910. Following qualification in 1895 Moore held house roles at the Manchester Royal Infirmary and served as Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer on Pathology at Owens College in the department of Auguste Sheridan Delépine (1855-1921) until 1901, when he became an assistant to Julius Dreschfield (1846-1907) investigating gastric ulcers and enteric fever.
In 1904 he was appointed to the position of physician at Ancoats Hospital where he began his investigations into digestive functions, for which he is most known. It is here where he also began offering lectures, which was the beginning of regular postgraduate teaching in Manchester and was soon adopted at the MRI. He was appointed to the staff of the MRI in 1911 and also ran his own consulting practice. Moore had a reputation as a dedicated worker and rarely took any holidays. During the first world war he was attached to the 2nd Western general Hospital.
From 1925, following the retirement of George Redmayne Murray (1865-1939), Moore held the chair of systematic medicine at the University. He retired from his chair in 1929 and moved to Grindstead, East Sussex with his wife, where he was able to devote much of his time to one of his favourite hobbies, his garden. He died at his home at Duckyls near East Grindstead on 18 November 1943 at the age of 71.