A note on the inside of one of the boards by Thomas Windsor indicates that the manuscript was purchased by the Manchester Medical Society on 5 February 1877 at the sale of the library of Georg Heinrich Pertz (1795-1876) in Leipzig. An additional note has been inserted over this one by a Professor, dated 14 May 1878 and confirming the content as the first four books of Avicenna's Canon of Medicine.
The manuscript is constituted as follows: Book 1 ff.1-36, Book 2 ff.37-50, Book 3 ff.51-74, Book 4 ff.74-126. The beginnings of books 2-4 and the final page contain some decoration in red ink. There are notes, also in Hebrew, and occasional manicules evident in the margins throughout. A 19th century printed German work can be seen on the outer spine, having been recycled and used in the binding.