MRCS 1826; LSA 1825.
Hunt came to Manchester in 1818 and became a pupil of Joseph Jordan. He also trained in London at the London Hospital and qualified in 1825. He returned to Manchester and settled as a general practitioner. In 1829 Hunt began his career as a lecturer. From 1829 to 1830 he gave anatomical demonstrations at Marsden Street School. In 1832, lectures on midwifery and diseases of children were given by Hunt and Radford at their rooms on King Street. Hunt then joined the staff of the Pine Street School in 1833. His connection with the school was to last over forty years until his death. Hunt was lecturer on anatomy, physiology and pathology of the eye. He was also honorary secretary of the school for many years. In 1847 Hunt was given permission to use the lecture theatre for evening lectures on the physiology of vision as applied to the fine arts. Even after the merger with Owens College in 1872 Hunt was still lecturer in ophthalmology.
In addition to his teaching career, Hunt pursued a successful hospital career. He was attached to the Lying-in Hospital from 1829, in 1834 he was appointed surgeon and by 1847 he was senior consulting surgeon. Hunt was also appointed assistant surgeon to the Eye Institution in the 1830s and by 1847 was surgeon. He published extensively on ophthalmology. Hunt was also a member of the founding council of Manchester Medical Society and was vice-president. Hunt retired from Manchester to Disley a few years before his death. He died circa 1874.