MSc Manch 1935, MB ChB 1938, MD 1963; FRCOG 1972; FRCPath 1963.
Langley studied physiology and medicine at the University of Manchester and held junior positions at MRI. In 1940 Langley was appointed demonstrator at the University, and was later assistant lecturer, lecturer, senior lecturer, and from 1962, reader in obstetrical and gynaecological pathology, having moved from general pathology to obstetrical and gynaecological pathology. He was made professor in 1972, a position he held until retirement in 1977 when he was made emeritus professor. During this period, Manchester became a centre of excellence in the field of gynaecological pathology. Langley also worked as pathologist to the Duchess of York Hospital for Babies, Manchester, from 1941 to 1947, and consultant pathologist to St Mary's Hospital Manchester from 1948. He was a pioneer of diagnostic cytology. Langley was a founder member of Manchester Paediatric Club and a founder fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists. In 1972 Langley was admitted as fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, which illustrated the respect in which he was held by his clinical colleagues.