The Departmental Academic Boards were set up in the early twentieth century. Before 1956 they reported to the Board of Studies and afterwards to the Academic Board. Each recognized department had a board, consisting of its staff members, and the number of DABs grew as the College expanded in the postwar period.
The minutes are indexed, but the majority are not signed. The earlier minutes of the boards have not been located and it is not known if they were filed centrally. DAB minutes may also be found in the relevant departmental archives, if extant.