Five deeds relating to the Augustinian Priory at Plympton, Devon, founded in 1121. They include an agreement with Buckland Abbey.
Plympton Priory, O.S.A. (Devon)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 RYCH/44-48
- Dates of Creationearly 13th cent.-1316
- Physical Description5 items.
Scope and Content
Rylands accession nos R35256-35260. Purchased by the John Rylands Library from the Manchester bookseller P.M. Barnard for £6 in October 1913.
In 1848 these five charters belonged to Mr Edward Hailstone and are mentioned, Nos. RYCH/46 and 47 being printed, in the Archaeological Journal, vol. 5, pp. 57-62; see also G. Oliver, Additional Supplement to the Monasticon dioecesis Exoniensis (Exeter, 1854), pp. 14-15. The charters were endorsed in the 14th century: Carta lxx vi, Carta lxxvii, Carta lxxv, Carta lxxxxix, and Carta cxxx respectively.