Peterstone Priory in Burnham Overy (Norfolk)

  • Reference
      GB 133 RYCH/53
  • Dates of Creation
      5 Jan 1429
  • Language of Material
      Latin
  • Physical Description
      1 item.

Scope and Content

Grant by the prior and convent of St Peter of Petyrstone [Peterstone] to William Yelverton of a piece of land in Westlexham [West Lexham, Norfolk].

Administrative / Biographical History

The priory of St Peter of Peterstone was founded as a house or hospital under the Austin rule, towards the close of the twelfth century. When a crown return of the appropriated churches of the diocese was called for in 1416, the reply from Peterstone Priory was that they had held the rectory of West Lexham since 1229, but that they were in sore straits from the results of the pestilence of 1349, the inundation of 1378, and the still more serious inundation of 1387. Source: Victoria County History of Norfolk, vol. 2 (1906), p. 391.

Acquisition Information

Rylands accession no. R29857. Purchased by the John Rylands Library from the Manchester bookseller P.M. Barnard for £3 10s in March 1912.