File: History of Art Department

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/18
  • Dates of Creation
      1933-1950
  • Physical Description
      1 folder

Scope and Content

File relating to the history of art department. The papers cover the administration and academic work of the department. The Department effectively came into existence with the appointment of Reginald Wilenski as special lecturer in art in 1933. Subjects covered include: relations with the Whitworth Institute (then responsible for the Whitworth Art Gallery, with which the Department had close links); and the development of course curriculum and a departmental library. At this stage there was no independent degree in history of art, and courses were taken by students taking the ordinary B.A. and by students of architecture; lectures were also attended by history and literature students. Wilenski was succeeded by Lawrence Haward in 1946. In the late 1940s, it was decided to appoint a reader in fine art, although in the event A. C. Sewter was appointed as senior lecturer in 1949.

Former reference: 20

Related Material

For the post-1950 history of the department, see VCA/7/438.