Correspondence and papers relating to the administration of the Department of Bacteriology. The Department had been created in the 1890s by Professor A.S. Delepine, and was for many years responsible for the city's public health laboratory, as well as undertaking academic teaching and research. The file deals with the period after its had given up responsibility for the laboratory. The professors of bacteriology in the period covered by the file were Hugh Bethune Maitland (1895-1972) and Patrick Collard (1920-1989); also associated with the department was the professor of virology, T. S. L. Beswick. The file includes material on the Department's move from the York Place building, which had been acquired for hospital redevelopment. There are also papers on the Department's research work into poliomyelitis and a memorandum by Maitland on departmental arrangements, dated 10 May 1955.