File: Department of Pharmacology

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/382
  • Dates of Creation
      1948-1950
      1964-1970
  • Physical Description
      4 folders

Scope and Content

File concerning the administration of the department of pharmacology, which was part of the Faculty of Medicine. A professor in this subject has existed in the University in 1881 (the full title of the chair was professor of pharmacology, materia medica and therapeutics). The file includes material on the appointment of Harold Schnieden (1926-1998) as professor in succession to A. D. MacDonald, who had been professor from 1935-1964. There is material on research work undertaken by members of the department including Schnieden's work on Parkinson's disease and Harold Jackson's (honorary reader in experimental chemotherapy) on antispermatogenic compounds, funded by Ford Foundation. There are papers on an unsuccessful bids to the Ford Foundation to fund a population control studies centre (1966) and to the Nuffield Foundation for a Clinical Pharmacology Unit in 1969 (Folder 4).

Former reference: 72