Papers relating to the Department of Town and Country Planning. The Department was set up in the 1930s and formed part of the School of Architecture, becoming an independent department in the Faculty of Arts in 1952. The Department had expanded rapidly in the post-war years to offer a variety of certificates, diplomas and degrees in town planning. During the period covered by this file, the Department was headed first by Professor Clifford Holliday (who died in 1960), and then by his successor, Professor Roy Kantorowich (1916-1996). Before moving to purpose-built accommodation at Bridgeford St. in the 1960s, the Department had been housed with the department of architecture in a building which now houses the University Dental School. There are a number of documents in the file which discuss the inadequate facilities in original building and the plans for the new building.
Subjects covered in this file, apart from accommodation issues, include routine staffing, and outside work undertaken by departmental members. There are also papers relating to the employment of the well-known architect, Heinz Rau, who undertook a number projects while a member of the department, and details of an unsuccessful plan to establish a school of land use studies. The file also includes a discrete set of papers concerning the department's relations with the Town Planning Institute, which periodically undertook visitations of the department in connection with its recognition of the department's courses as conditions of exemption for students from its own final examinations. Folder 6 contains copies of the TPI reports dating from 1937, 1954 and 1963, which provide information on teaching and facilities.
Former reference: 33