File: Dalton Hall

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/384
  • Dates of Creation
      1957-1967
  • Physical Description
      3 folders

Scope and Content

Dalton Hall is the oldest of the halls of residence associated with the University. It was founded in 1876 as a hall for men by members of the Society of Friends, and moved to Victoria Park, Manchester in 1882, when it was renamed Dalton Hall. The Hall retained its connections with the Friends, although students from other (or no) denominations were also accepted as residents. In August 1957, the University took over ownership of the Hall, and its governing body replaced by the Dalton Hall Committee, a committee of Council.

Most of the material is routine correspondence between the vice-chancellor and successive wardens of the Hall: G. Sutherland, Peter Bromley and Edward Fox, and with the chairmen of the Dalton Hall Committee, L.E. Benson, and Kenneth Entwistle on such matters as staff and Committee appointments, finance and estates issues. There are also papers relating to the transfer of ownership and financial problems in the 1960s.

Former reference: 85

Related Material

See VCA/7/42 for the earlier period. The University Archives has custody of the Hall's archive (HDH).