File: Department of Child Health (Paediatrics)

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/390
  • Dates of Creation
      1951-1970
  • Physical Description
      2 folders

Scope and Content

Correspondence and papers relating to the administration of the Department of Child Health (later called Paediatrics). The department had been established by Professor Wilfrid Gaisford (1902-1988) in 1947. The main correspondents are Professor Gaisford and John Davis, professor from 1967 to 1980, and Aron Holzel (1909-1978) who held a personal chair. Among the subjects covered are: relations with the Rodney House Nursery Clinic (at the former Duchess of York's Hospital site in Burnage), which looked after children with cerebral palsy, and to which a part-time university lecturer was attached; and a paper by George Komrower (1911-1989), consultant paediatrician and lecturer in child health, regarding a proposed paediatric unit for the Manchester Teaching Group of Hospitals (1962). Some of the earlier correspondence in the file is with Sir John Stopford in his capacity as chairman of the Manchester Regional Hospital Board, rather than as University vice-chancellor.

Former reference: 114

Related Material

See also VCA/7/96 and VCA/7/41 (appointment of Professor Gaisford).