File: Department of Celtic Studies

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/1006
  • Dates of Creation
      1976-1989
  • Physical Description
      1 folder

Scope and Content

The Department of Celtic Studies was established in 1960 (although Celtic languages had been taught at various times before this). The department was headed for many years by Dr Emrys Evans, and taught Irish, Scottish Gaelic, and especially medieval and modern Welsh. The file includes correspondence with the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Ireland concerning support, arrangements following Professor Evans appointment to a chair at UCW, Aberystwyth (after which, he continued part-time), and the UFC review of the department in 1989, which recommended dissolution.

Former reference: 1237