File: Department of Audiology

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/578
  • Dates of Creation
      1964-1979
  • Physical Description
      12 folders

Scope and Content

The Department of Education of the Deaf was established in 1919, and changed its name to Audiology and Education of the Deaf in the late 1950s. The department was considered to be one of leaders in its field, acquiring an international reputation for innovative teaching and research under the leadership of Alexander and Irene Ewing. The file covers the period following the Ewings' retirement, when Professor Ian Taylor (b. 1924) became head of department. Taylor developed promoted research into the psychological and sociological aspects of the subject.

Former reference: 213

Related Material

See also VCA /7/196 and VCA/7/559 (appointment of Professor Taylor).