Correspondence and papers relating to the department of education of the deaf. The Department was one of the most innovative in the University. For many years, the department was dominated by the figures of Alexander and Irene Ewing. Alexander Ewing was appointed Ellis Llwyd Jones professor in the education of the deaf and director of the Audiological Laboratories in 1949, retiring in 1964. The department built up an international reputation in audiological research, and was the only UK university to offer a diploma in audiology. It trained teachers of the deaf (who took the University Certificate for Teachers of the Deaf) and provided courses for medical officers and health visitors. It changed its name to the department of audiology and education of the deaf in 1960.
Former reference: 243-244