The Department of Government and Administration had been established in 1948 when W.J.M. ("Bill") Mackenzie (1909-1996) had been appointed professor. The Department was responsible for teaching political studies and grew rapidly in the 1950s and 1960s, with MacKenzie succeeding in attracting high calibre staff. After MacKenzie left the University in 1966, the Department was run by Professors Brian Chapman and Samuel Finer (1915-1996).
Former reference: 353
Subjects covered in the file include: visiting academics; purchase of 1961 census data for social research; a proposed research project on the scientific civil service (1962); courses in public administration for overseas students; a proposed project for NALGO concerning white collar trade unionism (1965); the Department's associations with the East African Staff College and with the University of the West Indies; and discussions over whether the Department should develop an interest in strategic studies (1964).