The Joint Matriculation Board was established in 1903 by the newly independent universities of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds, and later joined by Birmingham and Sheffield. Its main purpose was to ensure that matriculation [entrance] examinations for each university were of the same academic standard. Its remit was later broadened after the First World War to administering the school leaving certificate and the higher school leaving certificate examinations (which gradually replaced matriculation examinations as the main method of university entrance). The documents in this file relate specifically to plans by the University of Birmingham to relax matriculation requirements for prospective students from "approved institutions" (technical schools).
File: Joint Matriculation Board
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 VCA/7/373
- Dates of Creation1922-1923
- Physical Description1 folder