File: John Rylands Library

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/563
  • Dates of Creation
      1959-1972
  • Physical Description
      8 folders

Scope and Content

File dealing with relations between the University and the John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester. The Library was custodian of world-class collections of rare books and manuscripts. Until 1972 it was an independent foundation, but one which traditionally had enjoyed close relations with the University of Manchester. The vice-chancellor was chairman of the Library's board of governors during the period covered by this file, and took an interested role in its running.

The file contains mostly routine correspondence relating to the Library building, including the extensions erected in the 1960s, benefactions to the Library including gifts and grants from the Pilgrim Trust, Francis Neilson and Muriel Stott, exhibitions hosted by the Library and the publication of the Library's journal The Bulletin of the John Rylands Library. There is also material on the Library's position under the Rating and Valuation Act 1961, the situation following the retirement of the Librarian, Professor Edward Robertson in 1963 and the Library's severe financial difficulties and attempts to raise funds. In 1972 the Library merged with the University of Manchester Library to form the John Rylands University Library of Manchester. Coverage of the merger is not extensive in this file.

Former reference: 5

Related Material

For the earlier period, see VCA/7/306.