File: St. Mary's Hospitals

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/303
  • Dates of Creation
      1943-1953
  • Physical Description
      2 folders

Scope and Content

Correspondence and papers concerning the University's relationship with the St. Mary's Hospitals. St Mary's specialised in diseases of women and children and maternity cases, and was one of the University's teachings hospitals. St Mary's was located at two sites: High Street [now Hathersage Road], Whitworth Park,; and a maternity hospital in Whitworth Street in central Manchester. The papers cover the period of the Hospitals incorporation into the National Health Service, and include material on the extension of the children's department at the High Street site in the late 1940s, appointments of staff by joint committee of the University and the Hospitals, arrangements for gynaecology and obstetrics.

Former reference: 336