The Faculty of Theology had been established in 1904, and had responsibility for several departments including: Biblical criticism, ecclesiastical history, comparative religion and social and pastoral theology. The file includes correspondence with the Dean of Faculty and the various heads of departments. There is material concerning the Faculty's relationship with various recognised colleges within Manchester (these were theological colleges which were not directly part of the University, but which used University staff for some of their teaching), including proposals in the early 1960s to build an Anglican theological college at Platt Fields near the University, and from the later 1960s of an abortive plan by Heythrop College to transplant to Manchester.
There is a separate folder (folder 4) relating to the William Temple Foundation's move to Manchester in 1971 (the Foundation promoted the study of Christian faith in relation to social and economic issues).
Former reference: 124