The Institute was established in 1983 by the University with support from the European Cultural Foundation. Its purpose was to undertake research and related activities in media studies within a European context. The Institute moved to Dusseldorf in 1991, following a change in funding arrangements. The file includes a detailed report om the Institute by the Director, George Wedell (1990), compiled in the context of negotiations about the future of the Institute. There is also discussions about the alleged shortcomings of the joint MA in European Media Studies (Universities of Manchester and Dijon).
Former reference: 1210