File: Department of Medicine

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/391
  • Dates of Creation
      1951- 1977
  • Physical Description
      4 folders

Scope and Content

Papers relating to the Department of Medicine. Until 1945 university professors of medicine were part-time posts, usually held by eminent local hospital consultants. In 1945, the first full-time appointment was made, when Robert Platt (1900-1978) was elected to the chair, with a brief to build up a medical research programme. During his tenure of the chair, Platt was highly successful in creating a research group for renal medicine. In 1959 Platt was succeeded in the chair by Douglas Black (1913-2002), another renal specialist. In 1965, a second chair of medicine was created and S.W. Stanbury was appointed to this post.

The file contains routine material on appointments (particularly in relation to Stanbury) and awards of grants by the Medical Research Council, Rockefeller Foundation and the Kellogg Company, including those for the Metabolic Research Unit. There are also papers on the development of medical genetics as a research subject in the University during the 1960s and Stanbury's research on metabolic bone disease. Among several interesting papers are a memorandum on the second chair of medicine, a memorandum dated c.1967-8 on teaching within the department, and a letter from the orthopaedic surgeon, Sir Harry Platt to Mansfield Cooper, 18 January 1970, discussing the views of the former vice-chancellor, John Stopford, on the MRI's status as a teaching hospital. Folder 4 relates to Douglas Black's secondment to the D.H.S.S. in 1973 as Chief Scientist, and resignation in 1977 to become President of the Royal College of Physicians.

Former reference: 114

Conditions Governing Access

Access conditions apply to parts of this file; please consult the archivist for further details.

Related Material

See VCA/7/107 for the earlier history of this department. See VCA/7/64, 502-503 for appointments to the full-time chair of medicine.