Correspondence and papers concerning the transfer of the Whitworth Art Gallery to the University. The Gallery had been faced with falling income over many years, and was prevented by its Charter from charging visitors. In 1954, the University Council accepted the proposed transfer in principle, and in 1956 a benefaction was provided to establish a professorial chair in art (the professor was intended also to serve as director of the Gallery). In 1957-58, the transfer of the Gallery to the University was accomplished after prolonged legal proceedings.
Former reference: 349