File relating to relations between the University and the College of Technology/Manchester College of Science and Technology (renamed the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology in 1965). The file covers a period of significant constitutional and administrative change at the College, as it was transformed from an educational institution jointly managed by Manchester City Council and the University, to an increasingly autonomous higher education institution. The College's Principal, Vivian Bowden (1910-1989), appointed in 1953, pursued a policy of vigorous growth in both staff and student numbers, expanding the curriculum and pushing ahead with a major building programme.
Subjects covered in the file include: Manchester Corporation's relinquishing of control of the College in 1956 (whereupon it was renamed Manchester College of Science and Technology), expansion of the College's estate, and the addition of new subjects to the curriculum. The file includes several interesting memoranda from the early 1960s concerning the constitutional position of the College vis-a-vis the University, and possible development strategies for the College. There is also material on the College's involvement in the abortive SISTERS project, and the circumstances surrounding the establishment of UMIST in 1965.
Former reference: 90