File: Buildings Committee

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/23
  • Dates of Creation
      1952-1974
  • Physical Description
      6 folders

Scope and Content

Correspondence and papers relating to the work of the Building Committee in the 1950s and 1960s. The Committee was responsible for the University's new building projects, and there is consequently a good deal of material relating to the post-war expansion of the University's site. There is material relating to the Science Area, the new halls of residence, the architecture building, additions to the Arts Building, and the University Precinct. There is also correspondence relating to the purchase of land and buildings by the University in relation to its building programme.

The file includes a small body of papers relating to the demolition of 6 Thorncliffe Place, a former residence of Friedrich Engels, in the early 1970s.

Related Material

See USC/4 for the minutes of the Building Committee.