File: Department of Psychiatry

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/394
  • Dates of Creation
      1950-1964
  • Physical Description
      1 folder

Scope and Content

The University's Department of Psychiatry was established in 1949, when E.W. Anderson (1901-1981) was elected to the chair. The Department was based at Manchester Royal Infirmary. The file is informative about Professor Anderson's plans to develop the department, including the appointment of extra lecturers and proposed research into juvenile delinquency, encouraged by support of local authorities. Also discussed are the department's accommodation situation, including plans to develop the Gaskell Nursing Home as a base, and plans to discontinue the diploma in psychiatric medicine (1964).

Former reference: 115

Related Material

See VCA/7/107 for the earlier history of this department, and VCA/7/625 for the period 1965-1982. See  VCA/7/75 (Anderson) and VCA/7/519 (Kessel) for appointments to chairs.