File: Department of Neurology

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/420
  • Dates of Creation
      1942-1966
  • Physical Description
      4 folders

Scope and Content

The Department of Neurology was based at the Manchester Royal Infirmary and had been established in 1939 when Geoffrey Jefferson (1886-1961) was appointed to a personal chair in neurosurgery. The file concerns the development of the Department, in particular Jefferson's plans for improved neurosurgery facilities in the post-war period e.g. "Comment on the Proposed Manchester Neurological Institute", dated 12 September 1942. There is also correspondence with members of the Manchester, Salford, and Stretford Joint Hospitals Advisory Board and MRI officials concerning plans for postwar neurological services in Manchester, and with the Nuffield Trust which helped fund the Department's Work. Jefferson retired in 1951, shortly after a new neurosurgery facility had been opened at MRI. The file contains papers on the appointment of Richard Johnson Turner as lecturer in 1950.

Former reference: 324

Related Material

See also VCA/7/504.