File: Department of Crystallography

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/425
  • Dates of Creation
      1935-1959
  • Physical Description
      1 folder

Scope and Content

Crystallography was a semi-independent department within the Faculty of Science with close connections with the departments of physics and metallurgy. The department had been established by Henry Miers, former vice-chancellor of the University, and a crystallographer by training. The subject was taught essentially as a one-man operation by H.F. Buckley, reader in crystallography until his death in 1959. Most of the file is concerned with administrative problems within the department, including the ill-health of Buckley. On Buckley's death, the subject was subsumed by other departments.

Former reference: 350