File: Manchester Museum

  • Reference
      GB 133 VCA/7/570
  • Dates of Creation
      1951-1979
  • Physical Description
      9 folders

Scope and Content

File concerning the administration of the Manchester Museum. The Museum was owned by the University, and governed by a University committee. The Museum also received an annual grants from Manchester City Council to support its work with the general public. The file comprises mostly routine correspondence between the vice-chancellor, chairmen of the Museum Committee and Directors of the Museum (R.U. Sayce and D. Owen), and topics covered include: salaries of professional technical staff of the Museum; leave of absence for Museum staff undertaking fieldwork (including Frank Willett's archaeological work in Nigeria, 1958); relations with Manchester Corporation (and later the Greater Manchester Council), including the 1966 agreement concerning financial support; development of the North West Museums and Art Galleries Service; and building issues including the Museum's expansion into the former Metallurgy/Dental Hospital building in the 1970s.

There is also separate folder concerning the introduction of a diploma course in Gallery and Museum Studies by the University in 1971, which includes a memorandum by the Museum Director, "A department of museum studies in Manchester University" (1968).

Former reference: 117

Conditions Governing Access

Access conditions apply to the use of parts of this file.

Related Material

See also VCA/7/99 and VCA/7/843 .