- Ben Ocean Lancer building contract, contract negotiations and building documentation, 1974-1977;
- Ship publicity and photograph files, c1970s-1980s;
- Ben Odeco letterheads and ship graphics, c1970s;
- Rectangular Ben Odeco sticker, c1970s-1980s;
- Circular Ben Odeco sticker, c1970s-1980s.
Records of Ben Odeco Limited, shipping and oil drilling company, Edinburgh, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 248 UGC 199/6
- Dates of Creationc1974-1980s
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.26 linear metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Ben Odeco Limited was set up in 1974 as a joint 50:50 oil exploration drilling venture by Ben Line Offshore Contractors Ltd (BLOC) with Ocean Drilling and Exploration Company Ltd (ODECO) of New Orleans, U.S.A. BLOC itself was established in 1973 by The Ben Line Steamers Limited whose board decided to diversify into the oil industry. They set it up as a majority shareholder with North Sea Assets and Royal Bank Development Limited making up the balance of the shares. BLOC's involvement in Ben Odeco Limited is its only activity reflected in the records of this collection, and the majority of the records were created by the Ben Line's group publicity manager A. M. Peill alongside other publicity records of the Ben Line group.
The following vessels and rigs were owned or operated by the company:
- Ben Ocean Lancer (drillship);
- Ben Ocean Typhoon (drillship);
- Ocean Tide, later Bennevis V (jack-up rig);
- Ocean Allianace;
- Ocean Benarmin;
- Ocean Benloyal, later Benloyal III (semi-submersible rig - managed by ADCO).
In June 1992 the joint-venture company came to an end, with its remaining rigs either transfered to full Ben Line Group ownership or sold outright to Odeco.
The description of the Records of the Ben Line Group Limited is divided into the following sections, each with its own separate description:
- UGC 199/1, Records of Wm Thomson & Co
- UGC 199/2, Records of The Petrograd Steamers Limited
- UGC 199/3, Records of The Ben Line Steamers Limited
- UGC 199/4, Records of Benmarine Limited
- UGC 199/5, Records of Ben Line Containers Limited
- UGC 199/6, Records of Ben Odeco Limited
- UGC 199/7, Records of Atlantic Drilling Company Limited
- UGC 199/8, Ben Line Group records
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Gift : E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd : June 2013 : ACCN 3773
Gift : E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd : February 2013 : ACCN 3744
Transfer : Edinburgh University Library : June 2006 : ACCN 2949
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
All Materials held by Ben Line Group Limited until it was wound down in 2000. Thereafter transfered to and held by E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd until deposit at GUAS, with exception of ACCN 2949, containing voyage account books and voyage account boxes, which were held by Edinburgh University Library until transfer to GUAS in 2006.
Location of Originals
This material is original
Description compiled in line with the following international standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) Second Edition, September 1999and National Council on Archives, Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names
Scotland is the location of all place names in the administrative/biographical history element, unless otherwise stated.
Fonds level description compiled by .