- Student records 1891-1917
- Minutes 1911
- Financial records 1938-1946
- Correspondence 1907, 1930-1931, 1948
- Acts of Parliament and legal papers 1888-1931
Records of St Mungo's College of Medicine, 1888-1947, medical college, Glasgow, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 246
- Dates of Creation1891-1948
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 boxThere are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
St Mungo's College of Medicine, Glasgow was established in 1888 as a new independent medical college in Glasgow, Scotland. The College incorporated the Glasgow Royal Infirmary School of Medicine which had been set up in 1876 to counteract the effect of the opening of the Glasgow Western Infirmary on the Royal's teaching status. In 1947 St Mungo's College of Medicine was amalgamated with Glasgow University's Medical Faculty.
The college was housed in the buildings of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Following its amalgamation with the University of Glasgow in 1947 , its property was transferred to Glasgow Royal Infirmary and used to house Glasgow University's Medical Departments.
St Mungo's continued the policy of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary School of Medicine of allowing women to matriculate for a complete course of medical study and, during the period 1890-1892 , forty-three women received clinical instruction alongside male students. St Mungo's struggled to get enough students to enrol as it was not affiliated to a university and could not award its own degrees. Instead its students could only study for licences to practice medicine and surgery, which were awarded jointly by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow and the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, or for Irish or English qualifications. As a result, most students preferred to study for a Glasgow University degree and St Mungo's usually had less than 90 students matriculating each year.
In 1905, the Glasgow Royal Infirmary refused a request for financial assistance from the college. The Muirhead Trust, set up at the wish of Dr Thomas Muirhead to partly endow a college for the medical education of women, was persuaded to intervene. It agreed to endow St Mungo's College of Medicine if certain conditions were met. The name Muirhead should be associated with the college, there should be a connection with Glasgow University and the college would need to match the å£40,000 endowment the Muirhead Trust were going to make. Also all teaching should be open to women on equal terms.
The college always hoped that in time it would become an extra-mural college of the University of Glasgow but an attempt to affiliate with the university in 1905 failed. As the class sizes at Glasgow Western Infirmary got larger, Glasgow University became keen to re-establish links with the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and in 1910 the Chairs of Clinical Medicine and Clinical Surgery were transferred to the Glasgow Royal from the Glasgow Western. In 1911 , the St Mungo Chair of Surgery and Chair of Pathology and the Muirhead Chair of Medicine and Chair of Obstetrics & Gynaecology were created. Arrangements were made to have classes at Glasgow Royal Infirmary on venereal disease, diseases of the ear, diseases of the throat and nose and skin diseases. By 1930, five more clinical lectureships had been attached to Glasgow Royal Infirmary and St Mungo's College of Medicine became the centre for clinical and systematic instruction during the last 2 years of Glasgow University's medical curriculum.
Jacqueline Jenkinson, Michael Moss and Iain Russell,The Royal: the History of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 1794-1994(Glasgow (?): Bicentenary Committee on behalf of Glasgow Royal Infirmary, c1994)
This material is arranged into series, which consist of numbers of items related by format and/or function. Within series, the items are generally arranged chronologically.
Open subject to restriction to protect personal confidentiality
The University of Glasgow
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Manual file level list available at the National Registers of Archives in Edinburgh (NRA(S) 3314) and London (NRA 35159)
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Retained in the custody of St Mungo's College of Medicine and then the University of Glasgow
No know publications
This material is original
Revised by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 9 October 2002