- Family papers, especially Sir James Lumsden (1808-1879), James Lumsden (1851-1911), and the family of Susan Campbell MacKenzie Lumsden undated
- Illustrated children's books published by James Lumsden and Sons c.1810-1850
- Title deeds undated
Records of the Lumsden family, stationers, Arden, Dumbartonshire, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 112
- Dates of Creationc.1664-1963
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description3.5 metres
- Digital Materials
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Lumsden family have been in existence since the end of the 17th Century. Possibly the most important figure in the family history was Sir James Lumsden of Arden. He was born in 1808 , the eldest son of Margaret Mirrlees and James Lumsden, proprietor of James Lumsden and Sons, Stationers, Glasgow. He went to the University of Glasgow in 1821 and then joined the family firm, working for a time as a representative and travelling widely. In 1834 he was made a partner in the firm. In July 1835 he married Elizabeth Pinkerton. The couple's surviving children were a son and three daughters. After his father's retirement from the business in 1852 , James Lumsden took over management until his own retirement in 1876. In addition he invested in stocks and shares and bought, sold and rented out a variety of properties. Following his father's example, he became involved in civic affairs as a member of the Town council. In 1861 he was made Dean of Guild and was Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1866-1869 . He acquired the territorial title ??of Arden' in 1868 when he was knighted after acting as host to the Prince and Princess of Wales during their visit to Glasgow to lay the foundation stone of the new University of Glasgow Buildings on Gilmorehill.
He had a variety of other interests in local business and civic affairs. Lumsden was a director of the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company from 1849, becoming Chairman in 1871 . He was a director and later Chairman of the Board of the Clydesdale Bank. He was the last Chairman of the Clyde Shipping Company before the partnership sold it to private interests in 1857. He maintained a continuing interest in the Clyde Navigation and Lighthouse Trusts. He contributed a total of £1150 towards the building of the the Bute Hall in the University of Glasgow. At his death in 1879 , the family houses were at 194 Bath Street in Glasgow, and at Arden House in Dumbartonshire. The premises of James Lumsden Son and Co, Wholesale Stationers were, at that time, at 20 Queen's Street, Glasgow. Sir James' son, James Lumsden ( 1851-1911 ) continued to be involved in the family business although his interests lay more in the area of natural history.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Indefinite loan: Mr Lumsden of Helensburgh (Ref BACS 642)
Compiled by Vikki Laidlaw, Hub Project Assistant, 08 October 2004
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Acquired directly from the Lumsden family
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material