- Memorandum and Articles of Association 1894;
- Shareholder records, prospectus and correspondence 1894-1923;
- Annual reports and accounts 1895-1919;
- Correspondence 1896-1923;
- House rules, regulations and administration records, late 19th early/20th century;
- Annual reports, correspondence and publication from other university female-only halls of residence 1903-1910;
- Advertisements for Queen Margaret Hall Ltd late 19th early/20th century.
Records of Queen Margaret Hall Ltd, student hall or residence, 1894-1923, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 233/2/13
- Dates of Creation1894-1923
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 bundlesThere are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
When Queen Margaret College, Glasgow , Scotland, was opened in 1883 as a female college it had no residential facilities for its students. In 1894 , Queen Margaret Hall Ltd was incorporated as a limited liability company with a capital of Â£3000 to establish and carry on a hall of residence for women students. The company was managed by an executive committee consisting of an honorary president, up to 4 honorary vice-presidents, ordinary members and up to 2 honorary secretaries. These were elected at the annual general meeting along with a chairman and vice-chairman of the company.
Queen Margaret Hall opened in 1894 occupying Lilybank House on Lilybank Terrace near the main University of Glasgow campus with accommodation for 25 students. The University of Glasgow, having merged with Queen Margaret College in 1892 , took over the Hall in 1923 and the limited company was dissolved. The University added Robertson Hall, Lilybank Terrace in 1926, 18-19 and 20 Bute Gardens, and Southpark House in 1959 to its female student residences. These 5 units housed 114 women students and 6 members of staff. In 1964, the new Queen Margaret Hall, Bellshaugh Road, Kirklee, Glasgow, was opened to accommodate 160 women. It was expanded in 1967 and became a mixed residence. The halls were replaced in 2002 by a new Queen Margaret Hall on the same site.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
The University of Glasgow
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Manual file level list available at the National Registers of Archives in Edinburgh (NRA(S) 3347) and London (NRA 35509)
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Retained in the custody of Queen Margaret College, Glasgow and then the University of Glasgow. Previously catalogued as part of the GUA Inventory.
No known publications using this material
This material is original
Amended by Emma Yan, Assistant Archivist (Cataloguing), 21 December 2007