- Journal, 1936-1967;
- Ledgers, 1957-1977;
- Cash book, 1974-1977;
- Annual reports, 1926-1976;
- Revenue accounts, 1971-1980;
- Legal papers, 1930-1980.
Records of the Women's Help Committee, women's welfare group, Glasgow, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 260
- Dates of Creation1925-1980
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.4 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Women's Help Committee was formed in 1922, and made its home at Atholl House, Burnbank Gardens, Glasgow; officially opening in January 1925. The Committee worked to promote and further the moral and social conditions of women. The women the Committee dealt with were 'delinquent girls', unmarried mothers and their babies, or any women who had difficulties in life. The age of these women was primarily between 17 and 24, but older women were also taken in.
The 1926 Annual Report stated that the women were offered help and friendship, not criticism or interference. In addition, they worked with children and appointed a Special Children's Worker in 1926 to deal with children who had been victims of sexual offences. The caring for this type of child was noted as a new branch of work in Scotland. The Committee had acquired 63 Partickhill Rd as a mother and baby hostel, and in 1929 they start referring to these premises as 'Atholl House' in the Annual Reports. Burnbank Gardens was then opened as a separate hostel for young girls in 1930.
As well as running the hostels, there was much outdoor work, where the Committee dealt with casework for individual cases and assisted other social work organisations. In 1968 the Glasgow Home for Deserted Mothers transferred their assets and property to the Committee and the hostel for young girls was moved to this new property. There was consistent demand for the work of the Committee and places at the hostels, for over fifty years. Yet, in 1974 the hostel that dealt with young girls closed due to staffing difficulties. The Corporation of Glasgow Social Work Department acquired the hostel and continued the work of the Committee. At the same time it was realised that there was not sufficient work to justify the services of a full-time social worker at the mother and baby hostel, and real financial problems were noted. In 1977 the Committee decided that it was no longer able financially, to pursue its objects and that it should dispose of its assets.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Conditions Governing Access
Received prior to the introduction of formal accessioning procedures
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material
Description compiled in line with the following international standards: International Council on Archives,ISAD(G) Second Edition, September 1999 and National Council on Archives,Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names
Scotland is the location of all place names in the administrative/biographical history element, unless otherwise stated.
Fonds level description compiled by Andrew MacGregor, Archive Assistant, 03 July 2000. Lower level description compiled by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 29 January 2004.