Papers of William Douglas Weir, 1877-1959, 1st Viscount Weir of Eastwood, industrialist and public servant, Giffnock, Scotland

  • Reference
      GB 248 DC 096
  • Dates of Creation
      1811-1964
  • Name of Creator
  • Language of Material
      English
  • Physical Description
      59.4 linear metres

Scope and Content

The collection consists of records pertaining to almost every aspect of the professional career of 1st Viscount Weir of Eastwood. There is also a great deal of correspondence, both personal and official. There are reports of committees with which Viscount Weir was associated and a number of documents relating to both World Wars. This collection would be invaluable to those interested in the life and career of Viscount Weir. It would also be of interest to those studying such diverse subjects as industrial development, the World Wars in Europe, housing and engineering.

  • Letterbooks & general correspondence, 1899-1959;
  • Speeches, 1901-1956;
  • Personal and estate papers, 1917-1964;
  • Notebooks & diaries, 1888-1953;
  • Press cuttings, 1917-1956;
  • Cathcart Investment Trust Ltd papers, 1929-1960;
  • Association of Investment Trusts papers, 1932-1959;
  • Nickel and Mond Nickel papers, 1926-1959;
  • ICI papers, 1927-1958;
  • Steel Housing papers, 1918-1953;
  • Cardonald Housing Corporation Ltd financial records, 1924-1945;
  • Anglo-Scottish Beet Sugar Corporation Ltd papers, 1923-1940;
  • Animal Food Products Ltd papers, 1931-1946;
  • British Standards Institution papers, 1933-1946;
  • Federation of British Industry papers, 1922-1955;
  • Ministry of Munitions & Supply papers, 1914-1944;
  • Electricity related papers, 1918-1956;
  • Air Ministry papers, 1916-1953;
  • Imperial Defence papers, 1921-1944;
  • Government and Political Papers, 1916-1946;
  • G & J Weir Company Papers, 1904-1962;
  • Lady Weir's papers, 1921-1952;
  • Royal Scottish Automobile Club papers, 1919-1959.

Administrative / Biographical History

William Douglas Weir was born in Glasgow on 12 May 1877, the son of James Weir of Over Courance, Dumfriesshire and Mary Douglas of Kilmarnock. He was educated at Allan Glen's School and Glasgow High School, and entered the family engineering firm of G & J Weir Ltd, where he served an apprenticeship in all departments of the business. He became a Director in 1898 at the age of 21, Managing Director in 1902 ; and succeeded his father as Chairman in 1912. In 1904 he married Alice Blanche, daughter of John Machonnachie of Glasgow. They had two sons and one daughter.

Weir had a great interest in motor cars which led to his association with the French based motor manufacturing company managed by Alexandre Darracq, and to G & J Weir Ltd becoming involved in development work on steam driven buses. This venture was largely unsuccessful, and in 1912 he severed the connection with Darracq. His interest in motor cars continued with his involvement in the Royal Scottish Automobile Club of which he had been a founder member, later becoming President. With the outbreak of World War I Weir began to look for ways in which his company could become involved in the war effort. The company became involved in the production of shells, setting up factories at their premises in Cathcart, Glasgow. In July 1915 Weir became Scottish Director of Munitions for the Government's Ministry of Munitions. The shell production work was transferred to Cardonald in 1917, leaving space at Cathcart for the introduction of aeroplane manufacture. The company became the largest Clydeside producer of military aircraft. Although he remained Chairman of the company, 1917 was also the year in which Weir went to London as Controller of Aeronautical Supplies and a Member of the Air Board. He went on to serve as Air Minister (1918) then Secretary of State for Air Forces and President of the Air Committee until 1919. He was knighted in 1917 and created a Baron and Privy Councillor in 1918. He was appointed Chairman of the House of Lords Advisory committee on Civil Aviation in 1919.

Soon after peace was declared Weir returned to Glasgow to resume his duties as Managing Director of the family firm. The company moved out of aircraft production and back to their pre-war focus on the manufacture of auxiliary machinery and pumps, but the inter-war years were very difficult and the company was forced to diversify into housing and the production of a nickel-copper alloy for use in the production of propellers and tubes. Throughout this period Weir continued as a Government advisor on Civil Aviation and the RAF but the build-up to world War II saw this involvement increase significantly again. In 1934 he was admitted to the Order of the Bath, and was created a Viscount in 1938. With the outbreak of World War II he was appointed Director General of Explosives at the Ministry of Supply, a post which he held from 1938-1941. He became Chairman of the Tank Board in 1942. After the war the company's earlier interest in housebuilding was revived, first with steel houses and later with more conventional types of house building, this division of the company flourishing alongside the pump manufacture. Lord Weir retired as company Chairman in 1954 and became Honorary President the following year.

Throughout his life he was active in professional bodies, including the Institute of Marine Engineers, the Institution of Naval Architects, and the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland. His other appointments included Industrial Adviser to the British Delegation at the Imperial Conference at Ottawa in 1932; Honorary President of the British Employer's Confederation; and Director of the International Nickel Company of Canada Ltd. In addition to his UK Honours, he received a number of other national awards, including the Order of the Crown of Italy; the American DSM; and the French Commander of the Legion of Honour. The University of Glasgow awarded him the Honorary Degree of LLD in 1919, and he was awarded the Freedom of the City of London in 1957. His public life in Glasgow extended to his becoming a JP and Deputy Lieutenant for Glasgow and Renfrewshire. His home was at Eastwood Park, Giffnock, where he died on 22 July 1959.

Arrangement

The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received.

Access Information

Access to records within this collection is open, however an appointment may be required. Please email Archives and Special Collections for advice: library-asc@glasgow.ac.uk

Acquisition Information

First deposit was received from G & J Weir's Cathcart works when the River Cart overflowed, putting the papers of the first Viscount Weir in danger in 1982: Accn 0506. The second deposit was received from the 3rd Viscount Weir, Weir Group plc, 149 Newlands Road, Glasgow, G44 4EU in 1992: Accn 1192. A third deposit from Lord Weir remains uncatalogued: 1997: Accn 1550

Other Finding Aids

See also University of Glasgow Collections

Digital file level list available in searchroom.

Manual file level list available at the National Registers of Archives in Edinburgh (NRA(S)) and London (NRA 26835 Weir)

Alternative Form Available

No known copies

Conditions Governing Use

Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents

Appraisal Information

This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures

Custodial History

The papers were stored in cellars at G & J Weir's Cathcart works and were then transferred to Glasgow University Archives.

Accruals

None expected

Related Material

No known related material

Location of Originals

This material is original