Eric Liddell winning the 4x440 yards relay at the British Empire vs USA contest, 1924 [Copyright: Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division]
Summer 2002 brings the Commonwealth Games to Manchester, and we are highlighting some of the sporting figures, events, and organisations whose records are described on the Hub:
- Festival of Empire (1911): an Inter-Empire Sports Meeting to celebrate the coronation of King George V, and the forerunner of the Commonwealth Games.
- Humphrey Owen Jones (1878-1912) and Muriel Owen Jones (1886-1912): pioneering mountaineers.
- The history of tennis and rackets: the collection of Lord Aberdare (born 1919), author of The story of tennis.
- English Table Tennis Association: founded in 1925.
- British Orienteering Federation: founded in 1967; orienteering involves navigation with the use of maps at speed through unknown terrain.
- Ling Physical Education Association: founded in 1899, now the Physical Education Association of the UK.
- Games Legacy: comprehensive online resource on the hosting and legacy of the Manchester Commonwealth Games 2002
- British Society of Sports History
- Commonwealth Games: official website of The XVII Commonwealth Games, Manchester 2002 [website requires Flash].
- British Universities Sports Association
- Physical Education Association [website requires frames]
- UK Sport: National Governing Bodies
- Original photograph of Eric Liddell winning the 4x440 yards relay at the British Empire vs USA contest, 1924, by permission of Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division.
You can receive regular updates on our special features by joining our mailing list.