The EAD Editor is an online cataloguing tool for creating descriptions in EAD (collection level and multi-level) to the Archives Hub standard. It does not require knowledge of EAD but it creates interoperable descriptions that can be supplied to the Hub and used elsewhere.
You can also create Themed Collection descriptions.
In order to use the Archives Hub Editor
- New contributors: Email us about becoming a contributor
- Current contributors: Decide whether you prefer to use the Editor or want to export from your own system. If you do this you will not need to use the Editor.
- You need to use the login we provide. You can have more than one login. You can share accounts, but not simultaneously so it may be worth having more than one account from the outset.
- We can provide a limited number of training or trial logins as well.
Guide to the Editor
(Word doc. v4 17 Oct 2017):
EAD Editor Online Tutorials
We have a series of tutorials, available on our You Tube channel, showing how to use the Editor.
Tutorial 1: Creating a Basic Description (You Tube video, 10:50)
- how to create a basic description with the mandatory fields required to create and save a valid description.
Tutorial 2: Adding a Personal Name as Creator (YouTube video, 12:07)
- adding a personal name as a creator, using the VIAF lookup or manually
Tutorial 3: Adding a Corporate (Organisation) or a Family Name as Creator (YouTube video, 11:44)
- adding a corporate body, department, administrative unit or other organisation as a creator, and adding a family as a creator.
Tutorial 4: Adding Names as Index Terms (YouTube video, 7:41)
- adding personal, corporate and family names as index terms.
Tutorial 5: Adding Subjects as Index Terms (YouTube video, 13:29)
EAD Editor Help Pages
EAD Editor Help Pages provide further information on what the Editor does, uploading descriptions and user administration.
The EAD Editor enables you to
- Create new descriptions by filling in a simple form
- Create collection-level and multi-level entries
- Create descriptions of themed resources
- Add links to images and digital content
- Embed images in descriptions
- Save and store descriptions for subsequent editing
- Add formatting, lists and links
- Create persistent identifiers for each description
- View a tree structure of multi-level descriptions
- Upload Hub valid EAD records from your local machine
- Maintain logins for different users