The EAD Editor is an online cataloguing tool for creating descriptions in EAD (collection level and multi-level) to the Archives Hub standard. It does not require knowledge of EAD but it creates interoperable descriptions that can be supplied to the Hub and used elsewhere. You can also create Themed Collection descriptions.
Guide to the Editor
A detailed Guide to the EAD Editor is available.
EAD Editor Online Tutorials
We have a series of audio tutorials, available on our You Tube channel, showing how to use the Editor.
Creating a Basic Description (You Tube video, 11:50)
- how to create a basic description with the mandatory fields required to create and save a valid description.
Adding a Personal Name as Creator (YouTube video, 12:07)
- adding a personal name as a creator, using the VIAF lookup or manually
Adding a Corporate (Organisation) or a Family Name as Creator (YouTube video, 11:44)
- adding a corporate body, department, administrative unit or other organisation as a creator, and adding a family as a creator.
Adding Descriptive Fields (YouTube Video,12:00)
- adding biographical history, processing, context and image information
Adding Names as Index Terms (YouTube video, 7:41)
- adding personal, corporate and family names as index terms.
Adding Subjects as Index Terms (YouTube video, 13:29)
Formatting your description (YouTube video, 12:25)
- applying formatting to text, creating lists and creating links.
EAD Editor Help Pages
EAD Editor Help Pages provide further information on how to access the Editor, what the Editor does, uploading descriptions and user administration.
The Editor can be used to create interoperable EAD descriptions that can be uploaded to the Hub or to other systems.
When you make a description live from within the Editor, it is uploaded directly to the Archives Hub. You can usually view it on the Hub within 30-60 minutes. You can also view it on the CIIM admin system.
If your description is a revision, you may need to confirm this from within the CIIM - please see the EAD Editor Guide.