The EAD Editor is an online cataloguing tool for creating descriptions in EAD (collection level and multi-level) to the Archives Hub standard. It does not require knowledge of EAD but it creates interoperable descriptions that can be supplied to the Hub or used elsewhere.
In order to use the Archives Hub Editor
- New contributors: Email us about becoming a contributor
- Current contributors: Decide whether you prefer to use the Editor or want to export from your own system. If you do this you will not need to use the Editor.
- You need to use the login we provide. You can have more than one login. You can share accounts, but not simultaneously so it may be worth having more than one account from the outset.
- We can provide a limited number of training or trial logins as well.
Guide to the Editor
EAD Editor Online Tutorial
We are creating a series of tutorials showing how to use the Editor. Only the first tutorial is currently available; others will be added over Sept-Dec 2017
Tutorial Part One: Creating a Basic Description (You Tube video, 10:50)
- how to create a basic description, adding the mandatory fields required to create and save a valid description.
EAD Editor Help Pages
EAD Editor Help Pages are curently being re-written for the new Editor.
The Old EAD Editor
The old Editor will soon be redundant, so please email us if you have not yet moved onto the new Editor
The EAD Editor enables you to
- Create new descriptions by filling in a simple form
- Create collection-level and multi-level entries
- Add links to images and digital content
- Embed images in descriptions
- Save and store descriptions for subsequent editing
- Add formatting, lists and links
- Create persistent identifiers for each description
- View a tree structure of multi-level descriptions
- Upload Hub valid EAD records from your local machine
- Maintain logins for different users