The collection comprises photographs, mostly of objects designed by Schottlander, publications, and twelve examples of his industrial design from the 1950s: three chairs, seven lamps and two ashtrays.
Bernard Schottlander Archive
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 1837 DES/SCH
- Dates of Creation1950-2000
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1m excluding objects / one archive box; one framed poster; nine varying size design prototypes some boxed
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Bernard Schottlander (1924-1999) worked as both an industrial designer and sculptor, and, although the design work predates his sculpture, he is perhaps best known for his public sculptures, examples of which can be seen in Britain and abroad.
Schottlander was born in Mainz, Germany, and emigrated to England in 1939. He began his career as a welder and plater and attended evening classes in sculpture at Leeds School of Art, later transferring to the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London where he studied industrial design between 1949 and 1951. He then established his own industrial design business in north London where he manufactured lighting that attracted the attention of architects and the design cognoscenti.
In 1953 Schottlander's work was included in a major exhibition of British design organised by the British Council and held in Zurich. Two years later he was elected to the Society of Industrial Artists. In 1956, his 'Diabolo' ashtray was commissioned for the Design Centre when it opened in 1956, and thereafter his work was included in a variety of Design Council exhibitions both in Britain and abroad.
From the early 1960s Schottlander gave up his design work in order to focus on sculpture, and taught metalwork at St Martin's School of Art. Exhibitions of his work were held at the Architectural Association in 1964 and at the Hamilton Gallery in 1966. From this time, his interest lay in large-scale outdoor sculpture. A noteworthy commission is his curved steel structure 'South of the River' (1973), sited outside the premises of Ernst & Young on London's south bank.
The collection is arranged in the followng series:
SCH/3 Design objects
Researchers wishing to consult the collection should make an appointment. Telephone 44 (0)1273 643217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Transferred to the University of Brighton by the Schottlander estate in 2000. Further photographs were added at the time of the Schottlander exhibition 'Indoors and Out: the Sculpture and Design of Bernard Schottlander', organised by the University of Brighton Design Archives and the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds, 2007-8.
Collection level record created March 2006, and extended by Sue Breakell, January 2010.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission must be sought to publish any material from the collection. Email:
Moriarty, Catherine, and Worsley, Victoria 'Indoors and Out: the Sculpture and Design of Bernard Schottlander'. Henry Moore Institute Essays on Sculpture, 36. Leeds: Henry Moore Institute, 2007