Archives Hub Contributors
Following the launch of our new system in December 2016, the Archives Hub contributor pages have moved. Please follow the link below to search for this contributor:
The Archives Department of the University, founded in 1884, was recognised as a repository for public records in 1927. It houses the early records of the University College of North Wales and also material relating in particular to North Wales. The Department is open to scholars, research students and the public, without charge.
Available on the Hub are the Special Collections of the Department and also a large percentage of the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts.
There are 74 Special Collections. The majority of these are papers of landed estates or families from the counties of Anglesey, Caernarfon, Flint, Denbigh and Merioneth. There are also collections of papers of a number of individuals - University Professors, historians, antiquarians etc. A few collections have come from the offices of local attorneys and solicitors.
At present there are over 700 collections available on the Hub which form part of the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts. These collections are bound by one common factor - their relevance to the history, people and topography of North Wales. However, their subject areas are very wide ranging, and are of national as well as local historical interest.
The General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts contains the papers of individuals such as ministers, farmers, businessmen, attorneys and musicians. Chapel records, parish records and the records of various societies also take up a large percentage of the collection, as do some of the records of Bangor University.
Address: Archives Department, The Main Library, Bangor University, College Road, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2DG
Telephone: (01248) 382966 or (01248) 383276