Aberdare Hall is a women's hall of residence at Cardiff University, established in 1885, by Lady Aberdare, (wife of the first College President). It was the first of its kind in Wales and the second in the UK. From its early days, a library was established in the Hall for the students' residential use. Its stock was mainly built up from the personal donations of books by students in the Hall. The Library was closed in 2011 when part of the Hall was refurbished. Index cards listing the full contents of the Library (including provenance details for donations) have been retained, giving an insight into reading habits among the women students.
Library catalogue of Aberdare Hall, 1885-2011
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 1239 202
- Dates of Creation1885-2011
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1m 2 boxes
Scope and Content
Access is available by prior appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
File 202/3 contains personal data regarding living individuals. This data is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018. Access to original documents is permitted upon completion of a Data Protection Declaration. Photography of original documents is not permitted.