Exporting from CALM
Our aim is to take EAD exports from the Calm system with little or no requirement for any manual intervention. We have created export templates to ensure that we get a good standard of EAD from the Calm export, but then we still need to undertake further processing.
Please note: Exporting from Calm and then uploading to the EAD Editor is likely to cause errors and version control issues, so we have disabled this. If you want to use the Editor, we need to put your descriptions through our transformation processes before uploading them to the Editor.
We have a detailed Guide to Calm Cataloguing for the Archives Hub
- As we work with more Calm users, we modify our processes, due to the large range of cataloguing variations. We try to strike a balance between meeting differing needs and creating a rigorous process.
- The master copy of the data should be within the Calm system, so that the Hub data reflects the Calm data. This means that we need a consistent approach that can be replicated over time
- We need EAD that is both valid and meets Hub requirements We have a number of processes that can transform ingested data into Hub compliant data, but we may have to report back to you if we find missing or erroneous content that needs to be corrected
- Sustainable export requires an effective workflow which takes time to implement, and it is likely that ongoing modifications will be required in line with different cataloguing practices and Calm system enhancements
- We need to be able to handle revisions so that we avoid duplicates of descriptions on the Hub and therefore we have to apply consistent method to the workflow
We are happy to receive a sample of Calm EAD exports from institutions that would like to contribute their Calm descriptions. Please email us if you would like to do this.
EAD descriptions compliant with the EAD 2002 DTD can be created from Calm using a template that we provide for you. You add this in the appropriate place in your system so that you can then use the 'report' option within Calm. This can be found under File > Report > (Note, use 'Report' and not the 'Export' option). When you go to this option, you will see a number of export templates available, and you will need to use the one we provide. Please email us to request the export template.
Please note that the most common problems we have with Calm exports are: non-unique references, missing mandatory data, 'ghost levels' which are used to wrap entries rather than to describe materials.
Calm EAD Export Templates
The default export templates within Calm are not fit for purpose.
We have a standard export template for exporting EAD from Calm. Please talk to us if you want to export from Calm and are not sure about how to install or use this.
We also have a collection-level only export template. You only need to use this if you just want to export collection level descriptions but you have multi-level descriptions within Calm.