The Archives Portal Europe
The Archives Hub and APE
The Archives Hub contributes data on behalf of UK institutions by means of monthly harvests taken by APE.
To set you up as a contributor to APE:
- we create a basic repository entry for you. You can see these entries if you go to the APE website, choose 'Directory' and then select any individual repository.
- APE asks their contributors to sign a Metadata Exchange Agreement to agree to the APE open data agenda, and also to specify the licence that they want for their own data. You will need to sign this before the data can be added to APE. It will be sent to you when you are set up on the Archives Hub.
- APE will also send you a login to access the APE Dashboard.
- We will set up the harvest for you. APE will harvest every month, including adding new descriptions and deleting anything that you have deleted from the Hub.
- Note that if you want to delete something from APE quickly you can use the Dashboard (see below) or ask us to do it for you.
The APE Dashboard
You don't generally need to use the Dashboard, as the Archives Hub data is harvested by APE. But you are welcome to log into it and browse your descriptions. You can also un-publish and re-publish. We have a short video guide on the APE Dashboard (opens in YouTube).
If you should have a login, but you are not sure what it is, please email us.
The APE Directory entry
APE has a form that you can use to create and edit the directory entry for your repository, with information such as your location, contact details, facilities, hisotry, extent and date of holdings.
We used to ask you to create the repository entry on APE and then we would use that for the Hub; we are now moving to creating repository entries on the Hub and then supplying them to APE.
The directory entries on the Hub and on APE are held in Encoded Archival Guide (EAG). This is an XML encoding standard for ISDIAH (International Standard for Describing Institutions with Archival Holdings).
Updates to your Directory entry
We are moving towards creating repository descriptions on the Hub (using the Hub Contributor Console) and then uploading them to APE. This workflow is not yet fully worked out and live.
Contributing to APE directly
You can become a contributor to APE directly, without contributing to the Archives Hub. To do this you will need to use their Dashboard to upload EAD descriptions that comply with their requirements. We can support you in using the Dashboard, but we won't be able to help you with your data if you are not contributing to the Hub.